The Green Film School Alliance (GFSA) is a collaboration of academic leaders committed to providing and teaching industry-standard sustainable tools to help students reduce the environmental impact of content production. We are supported by the Sustainable Production Alliance and the Producers Guild of America Green.
Modeled after the industry standard Green Production Guide best practices and American Film Institute’s (AFI) internal Green Initiative and Green Seal programs, GFSA developed the “PEACHy,” a comprehensive list of relevant sustainable production actions broken out by department and category. Additionally, like its parent document, the PEACHy is aligned with Environmental Media Association’s "EMA Green Seal" program, to which a specific category for students to earn this third-party recognition has been added.
- GFSA announces the addition of sixteen new schools, more than doubling its membership to 27 including in its ranks the top nine in The Hollywood Reporter’s 25 Top Film Schools
- Twenty-four student projects from five schools (AFI, NYU, UCLA, the University of Arizona, and the University of New Orleans) earned an EMA Green Seal for Students
- The first student film to use GFSA’s tool, Shedding Angels, received a Bronze Medal at the Student Academy Awards in the Narrative category.
- GFSA launched its Student Ambassador initiative with seven school representatives
- GFSA’s PEACHy launched simultaneously with EMA’s Green Seal for Students
- Eight of the eleven founding schools are among THR’s Top 25 American Film Schools, notably the first four among them
- GFSA soft launch with eleven film schools
- “Film School Friday: Sustainability from Studios to Students” aired
GFSA INCLUDES REPRESENTATIVES FROM
27 FILM SCHOOLS AND PROGRAMS
Notably the top nine in The Hollywood Reporter’s 25 Top Film Schools
American Film Institute (AFI)
California Institute of the Arts (CalArts)
California State University – Long Beach (CSULB)
California State University – Northridge (CSUN)
Hussian College at LA Center Studios
International Academy of Film and Media - Bangladesh
Loyola Marymount University (LMU)
New York Film Academy (NYFA)
New York University (NYU)
University of California – Los Angeles (UCLA)
University of Southern California (USC)
Vancouver Film School (VFS)
Requirements to join GFSA are to a) be an organization engaged in film education, b) designate a production staff or faculty member to participate in GFSA meetings and c) incorporate sustainable measures into their student productions in line with the GFSA mission statement and PEACHy best practices and other GFSA tools.
For additional information contact GFSA@greenproductionguide.com and follow us on Instagram @greenfilmschoolalliance
The PEACHy, based on the industry PEACH, includes best practices adapted for student film projects. Go through the document in prep to start your planning, and then again at wrap to find out what was achieved. The PEACHy also serves as an application for an Environmental Media Association Green Seal (just save and send to EMA to apply).
The EMA Green Seal for Students, a recognition program honoring progress in sustainable production designed specifically for scripted student projects, is launching simultaneously with GFSA’s PEACHy. Submit your PEACHy to apply.